Friday, 15 September 2000

How Highpoint is better than Wandsworth

By Bill Griffiths.

I was just one day in Wanno.
There!
And they come at me.
What screws animal
screams feed?
you gotta placate/plead
they know
you get to yell for them
door
an ear to hell
they pass words/mind
break me to black music
joke-limp
add a agony up sufficient
tomorrow more.

*

Then they seen the state of my hands
and moved me.

*

We were cuffed right hand to right hand for the coach
so if we bolted we would run in circles
it made it hard to roll a burn.

*

I said I don't care what job
but I'm not doing jam
I'm not machining denim, OK?

*

This guy leave a packet yeast under the counter,
forget about it I guess.
In the servery it was.
An some foreign prisiner come up,
don't know what it was,
sez is this cheese, can I have it?
An I sez no, it's not cheese.
Then I find the guy it belongs to, hand it back,
an tell him 'the least
you can do is give me a bit of it eh? I mean
since, I save it for you, didn't I?'
An that was how
I got to brew hooch
to start off with.
Mostly it woz sugar.
I flavour it with a bit of lemon or orange maybe,
it was better than some of what the drink you get
outside and
it only take 3 day or so te brew.

*

Letters are safe.
They are sealed, taken to Cambridge and posted.
It's better and quicker than Wanno.
The letters come in,
and if there's one for you,
your name's posted on a noticeboard so
you know to go
and collect it.
They open it in front of you,
for to see if there's any drugs or stuff that's not allowed
but they don't actually read
what's in your letters.
When your posters come in, Bill,
the screw looks at them, sez to me,
Jeez you ain't gonna put them up are you?

*

Our side is all cells.
The other side is dormitories
and the guys are longer term, not
high category or nothing
they can do a lot what they want,
there isn't much check on them really.
I never got put there cos they claimed I was category C,
but they never told me why I was made that.

*

That's Orion (on the video as a logo)
see, I know the stars
but I give them my own names - great.
Like the Mountain Bike, the Hamburger, the Wedge of Cheddar
yes, it counts, I know them OK,
there's one just like a cart
or a plow or a bear
what does it matter
it's a dot-to-dot business
all you have to do is join up the points.

*

If I were a ghost there'd be
some sorry people around I'm telling you.
They would soon be in a mental home.

*

There were
two escapees used this big pip
that led out.
Only the screws were waiting for them.
I dunno how their surveillance works.
We never heard any more.

*

So I had a pal
I teaed up with a spanish guy
so we could smoke together
an one day I tossed the empty twist cellophane bit
out the window.
He yells., "There's in that!"
"Shit!"
So we leg it down, get out,
search good.
An this low-grade screw saunters up,
not older than me really,
they'd put him on an easy job,
keeping an eye on the outside
he come over and said what're you looking for
so I said I lost an ear-ring
and he bent over and helped us search
but we never found it

*

OK
to brew
put in warm water, sugar, yeast
for 3 days
but first it tasted of Lenor
had cleaned it out properly I thought, but...
it got better
sitting in my cell I could smell it OK
even the screws must have

*

There was an
alarm panic button
but no one would hit it
so if there was a fight it could be serious
but instead it was sometimes hit for fun
that really annoyed the screws
they said stop it or we'll stop your brewing...

*

Come on, let me tell you
the effect of the radios.
Suppose several were all tuned in the same,
one same song playing on them
and you stood in the doorway
for a listen.
Well, was the whole music roll
about the landing,
a proud sound,
something tinny and from wherever the bass
and running round and round the ears
back.
I am a cat-god at play.
my own captured air.
in the vibrant pipe palace.
but no church.

*

Well, you told me things are better outside london.
So I went to Liverpool that time.
I was in touch with this scouser.
He give me a ride in a car
turns out to be nicked.
Nothing obvious.
A little broken side window.
But the bill spotted us
and they give chase.
Swerved down a side road
a dead end
pulls over
and he legs it
and so did I.
But we was caught
and then he said it was me driving.
I was charged.
He was let off.
I did not say anything though
as I know I cannot drive.
They was being silly
and it ended up
they just had to drop the whole case.

*

Battery watches / stop watch capacities
are forbidden every way in Wanno.
So I had a loan of Bill's wind-up.
Unlucky for him.
See entry coming up day 43.
OK he got my super digital marvel a loan
but is gonna have to hand back just the same...

*

Can I joke
to play?
No, hard on the hand.
It sides -
Hit!
I a habilis.

*

The peach-weapon woman.
I roll about.
You see such wonderful things to see
if you could
if you could fire to.
There would be so much debris
if they tangled
it kicked off
single sleepers it dreams.

No comments: