Wednesday, 22 March 2000

From "Don't Start Me Talking"

I do think that poetry can provide a form of support, for the poet and for the person who reads poetry. The Spanish artist and poet Pepe Espaliú said, ‘My work is the evidence of what makes my existence bearable, and in that sense maintains it.’ I find his statement very interesting, though my own tendency is to think about writing as bringing something into existence, and I’d put the emphasis on that ‘something’ rather than on its relation to my own life. But I’d also want to add that what I’m doing when I write is ‘for the sake of what remains invisible in the showing-forth’, as I say in one of the ‘Spiritual Letters’. That’s not being cryptic – or not intentionally so; it’s just a way of referring you back to the poetry itself.

No comments: